Sunday, July 29, 2012

Alaska: Skagway

I know it has been FOREVER since i posted.  Here is one of the last posts that corresponds with our Alaska Cruise - last summer.  Yes, I know, it's been over a year since we took that trip.  I know, I know, I know.  Life got crazy, I did some rethinking about the blog and have decided to finish what I started and continue on.  Anyway, back to the trip....

Skagway, Alaska.
It's pretty cool.  The whole city is a National Park because this is where people came for the Klondike Gold Rush.  This was the starting point of all the expeditions.  Skagway is a small but very beautiful town.  Most of the town still looks like the town as it was built back at the turn of the 20th century.  The buildings are wonderfully maintained and have that charm of living in the time of the Gold Rush. 
There is a narrow gauge train that runs from Skagway called the White Pass Railway.  We didn't ride the train but we did get to see one of the snow plow trains that would help clear the tracks.  David was excited because we have a picture of this train in his train book.
Dustin & I did make sure that David was able to complete the Junior Ranger program here.  He was even able to get be an Alaska Adventure Ranger because he visited 3 Alaskan Public Lands.  He visited the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center, Mendenhall Glacier, & Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park.  We were pretty proud.








2 comments:

Kris and Katie said...

So glad you posted!! Your trip looks amazing. I've always wanted to go to Alaska.

Ruth said...

Looks like you spotted a seal or sea lion in the water. Fun trip, don't worry I am behind on my blog too.